Thursday, December 28, 2006

economics of second-hand produce

I think it's like this. The farmer's market on Hannover Street in the North End of Boston is not the 'farmer's market' concept I'm familiar, ie, farmers drive into the city to sell their wares.

No, it's not. What it is is farmers selling what they couldn't sell at the local grocery store and grocery stores dumping their shelves' produce for the starting week. It sounds disgusting until you realize that the produce is still within its freshness range, though on the lower end. It's not different from you buying some produce on Saturday (that's your grocery day) and not cooking it till Thursday. Some of the produce is farm fresh, but it's hard to tell.

Because food isn't always a black and white issue. There's some grey area there where what is acceptable for poor people is not so acceptable for rich ones. I'd rather buy 2 heads of 2-day old spinach then one 1-day old spinach (more likely, I'd buy a pound of carrots with the extra dough). The richer you are the less that kind of compromise you're likely to make.

Hungary is acting as Austria's second-week produce market. Some of that produce was probably produced in Hungary, shipped to Austria, sat on shelves/wharehouses, shipped back to Hungary when it wasn't sold in time, and is being sold in Hungary.

(Also the sellers at the Hannover St market are like village farmers - both extra nice 'here, have an apple pretty lady' and extra assholish, 'no you can't pick out which apples you're buying, I decide'.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

greetings I am looking for men to join my Guild Caesary come take a look. and join my group please! hawks raiders at http://www.lekool.com. Been playing Caesary game for 6 weeks. Caesary has been the best browser game in a long time!

[url=http://caesary.lekool.com]Caesary[/url]
[url=http://caesary.lekool.com]browser based[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://cool-rc-toys.com/deals/Rc+Truck/]Rc Truck[/url]. 2sp Lightning Nitro Gas Rc Truck 4wd Buggy 10 Car 2spd Caldera 3.0 Nitro Gas Rc Truck 4wd Buggy 8 Car 2sp Aftershock 3.5. Rc 600g Plane Jet 55mm Edf 5000kv D2627 Brushless Motor. Remote Radio Control Rtf Electric Plane Airplane Rc 4ch.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://cheap-musical-instruments.com/deals/Violin/]Violin[/url]. Led Zeppelin Drum Set Drum Book yamaha drum set Tama Imperialstar 5 Piece Drum Set, Violin Clamp Foo Fighters Guitar World Magazine August 1997 , Saxophone Selmer Soloist Alto Woodwind Sax Band Orchest, italian violin Warchal Nefrit Violin String Set .

Anonymous said...

unlock iphone 4
how to unlock iphone 4

I've had my laptop for approximately two years and all of a sudden it has started to shut down constantly. I downloaded freeware to catch viruses, etc., and it cleaned my laptop up, but the problem still persists. It's really starting to frustrate me!!!!!!! I don't know if this is an overheating problem or what I should do if it's that or an internal problem. Any advice? I really need this fixed as it keeps shutting down while I write my final papers for school! I graduate in two weeks and I really need to fix this NOW! Thanks in advance!
unlock iphone 4 unlock iphone 4 how to unlock iphone 4
I restored my computer and now i am not able to use programs i did before saying that i no longer have the system requirements and i lost connection to the internet on the computer and i think its because of a virus because it worked before Im using a different computer and i was wondering what do i have to do in order to make my computer have the system stuff it did before System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 1 Manufactured and supported by Hewlett-Packard Pavilion Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz 2.80GHz 504 MB of RAM I can't even download Windows Live messenger how to unlock iphone 4

unlock iphone 4 how to unlock iphone 4 [url=http://theunlockiphone4.com]unlock iphone 4 [/url] how to unlock iphone 4

Anonymous said...

I like [url=http://www.nikeshop.ca/]Nike[/url] and http://www.nikeshop.ca/8fqkalpj